The U.S. Navy acquires 100 acres of land on Terminal Island from the City for $1 and establishes a new naval station.
Construction begins on the 2.5-mile eastern leg of the San Pedro Bay breakwater. Work is halted in 1943 due to World War II. Construction resumes in 1946. The extension is completed in 1949, and the breakwater spans more than eight miles across San Pedro Bay.
The oil drilling program includes 126 harbor wells producing 17,000 barrels a day, generating
$10 million a year in oil revenues.
Subsidence from oil extraction becomes a major concern. Dikes are built for flood control at high tide, and engineers and geologists are assigned to study the problem.
The first of nine clear-span transit sheds is completed at Pier F. This establishes Long Beach as "America's most modern port."
Pierpoint Landing opens on Pier F and grows to become the world's largest sportfishing operation attracting 2 million anglers annually.
Jacobsen Pilot Station is the first in the Western Hemisphere to install a shore-based radar system.
Pier E is completed, adding 36 acres to the outer harbor. Pier B is doubled in size.