1924 Long Beach voters approve a $5 million bond issue for improvement of the inner harbor and preliminary development of the outer harbor.
1926 Long Beach attains "deep water" port status. More than 1 million tons of cargo are handled by 821 vessel calls.
1928 The port begins construction of additional piers, wharves and facilities. Pier One is reconstructed, renamed "Municipal Wharf" and equipped with a new transit shed. Piers A and B are started in the outer harbor.